Tuesday, October 20, 2009

crazy love

So, I am in a girls small group that meets on Tuesday nights. We have been meeting for the past 5 weeks. We were reading a book by an author from the Woman of Faith Conferences (who will remain nameless) and as it turns out, none of us where that excited about it once we got to reading it...and it only took us 4 weeks to speak up about it. I think the chapter about picnics and dogs sent us over the edge.

I know for me, being a part of a small group is an important part of my spiritual growth, as I tend to be a somewhat lazy person by nature. I need accountability and people to encourage me to grow. That is one of the reasons that I am so thankful for such a godly husband, who strives to be more like Christ each and every day. So our small group decided that we should switch books and go for something a little less "picnic and dogs" and a little more real. So we are starting Francis Chan's Crazy Love tonight. I just finished reading the intro/preface and I can't wait to get into the first chapter. In the preface this part really stood out to me,

"The core problem isn't the fact that we're lukewarm, halfhearted, or stagnant Christians. The crux of it all is why we are this way, and it is because we have an inaccurate view of God. We see Him as a benevolent Being who is satisfied when people manage to fit Him into thier lives in some small way. We forget that God never had an identity crisis. He knows that He's great and deserves to be the center of our lives. Jesus came humbly as a servant, but he never begs us to give Him some small part of ourselves. he commands everything from His followers."

I am praying that this book will challange me and shape me into the woman that God wants me to be: a fervent follower of Christ, a wife, passionate about wholeheartedly, serving the Lord
and a mother with an unquenchable hunger to seek after God.

5 comments:

The Washams said...

That book sounds great, Shannon. I hope that it helps you grow too!

The Murphy's said...

I have this book on hold at work!! Hope its good!! And totally agree about small group!! Such an encouragement!!

Moss Family said...

Thank you so much for sharing Shannon that is really encouraging and thanks for being real in the blogging world!

The Hofschroer's said...

Chris and I have been reading this book together. Love it (what we have read so far!). Francis Chan's stuff is always good!

A.Haven said...

I am so excited to get into this book with you girls!! Picnics and dogs just weren't cutting it. I really think God will challenge all of us through this book and grow us closer together as sisters in Christ :)